Friday, October 1, 2010

A rare luxury

I love deserted roads. It kind of excites the sentimental me to walk down the calm ambience of sleepy roads, licked my meagre traffic on and off just to make you realise that quietude does not entail loneliness. Yesterday evening after the Ayodhya verdict was declared, i alighted down the auto rickshaw pleasantly greeted by the broad grin and calmness of my loved campus. I was seduced to take one of my (recently grown rare) evening walks all to myself. The soft sheen of streetlights kissed the walls of colleges, faculty buildings, chai shops, recently built pavements - sometimes casting sinister shadows and at others blending deliciously with the (ahem!) romantic hues of the moonlight. I loved it, except that i had to console the frantic voice of my parents with the routinised candy-sweet voice of "i am and will be okay" and that i am definitely not on the hit-list of any fanatic(well, i didn't say this, of course!)

It was a Thursday evening. One of the days of the weeks when "knags"(Kamla Nagar market in the campus..........the shopping hub and fashion statement zone) brims with seething mass of students - bunking classes, hanging out, shopping madly,browsing bookshops, checking out "eye candies" etc. Interestingly, yesterday the coffee shops were pallid yellow, roadside vendors were busy wrapping up impossibly early. It was amusing, sad yet smug.

The few lines that haunted me yesterday were these:

The sky vomited pitch black tar.

The past few nights had been sooty -
rusty and baked with dry charcoal.
The nights were sinisterly dark -
murmuring threats and violent silences
into the infantile ears of dawn.

Even the mornings dared not kiss the sun
for quite some time now.

But tonight was different.
The moon peeped shyly
behind the clouds.
The monster regurgitated venomous stygian darkness
with intense hatred.
The crescent moon smiled
and rolled back.

A few moments later
the etherised table of the sky
yawned.

The moon emerged,
wrapping the night in its embrace.

Slowly,
The darkness began to melt.
Layer by layer the soot flaked.
Molten tar trickled down
With the ascent of the moon
the sky climbed down -
white as the lilies
limitless as truth....


I am happy that the moon
dared to smile.
Perhaps the mornings can
happen to be bright now.
Perhaps they can prise open their buds now.

7 comments:

  1. Awesome & amazing
    Your first poetry that I have been able to comprehend (at least I think so- though used the Google dictionary at least 10 times) & in the present context your selection of words, just could not have been any better. You have penned the emotions of so many people, so beautifully that while reading it, I only want to be the moon (the instigator- Bhagat singh)
    I hope henceforth the monster will never be able regurgitated venomous stygian darkness with intense hatred as the little moon (we-the people of India) will always emerge to melt the darkness..I pray that India henceforth never witness a Hindu-Muslim clash (as I believe hindi-chini bhai-bhai hoan yaa na hoan…hindu-muslim jaroor bhai bhai hain)
    I am also really happy that the moon dared to smile and I really hope mornings are brighter (there is a little thief in all of us- In my case-thief is all that is left)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you,Sandeep!I am indeed humbled by your interpretation..though i must confess,i did not intend the extensive allusions you drew from it.
    And will you explain "thief is all that is left?"

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know that Feeling. Mumbai makes you cherish the desolation of empty roads and soundless chaos.Add to the that the excitement of just being in a place that has been the epicentre of every communal earthquake and you know, If there was to be apocalypse, it couldn't be more contrasting than that day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Intended or unintended, your words were just apt for the occasion & I don’t know, what it was, maybe aftereffect of Ayodhya verdict, but your words made me felt that way..
    Thief…..as I had used a lot of your words….and a pointer towards the fact that I hardly uses by brains (if there is any)

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Sandeep,since you explained to me your reference to "thief",please explain how did you see moon as Bhagat Singh?

    ReplyDelete
  6. In my understanding of your poetry...moon was the instigator, as moon dared to emerge...both traits exhibited by the moon in your poetry, for me are the trademark traits of Bhagat singh...so tht why, i dared to compare moon with Bhagat singh(btw thts my limit of daring)...the reason might sound absurd or illogical to you..but somehow, Bhagat singh's name crossed my mind at that time...

    ReplyDelete
  7. @sandeep, No interpretration is illogical or absurd as long as one has arguments to substantiate...i am happy that a reader of my poem could relate to it...Though, i still hold that i had no such allusions in my mind.Please keep commenting on my other posts as and when i get successful in conveying my ideas..it really helps to improve.Thanks.

    ReplyDelete